Fort Scott served as a safe haven for refugees, including many escaped and liberated slaves, during the Civil War. While women and children found refuge here, many able bodied formerly enslaved men filled the ranks of the 1st and 2nd Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry Regiments, elements of which were recruited and organized at Fort Scott. While many African-Americans moved on after the war, some stayed and became a part of the community.
Fort Scott National Historic Site is part of the National Park System and recognized as a National Historic Landmark. It was a US Army frontier fort from 1842-1853, guarding the Permanent Indian Frontier. The fort buildings were auctioned in 1855 and became the nucleus of the civilian Town of Fort Scott, which was a center of Bleeding Kansas intrigue during territorial days (1855-1861). Predominantly pro-slave at its founding, the town and county developed a free-state focus by 1859. The town was fortified during the Civil War and became the primary US Army supply depot, training center, and general hospital in southeast Kansas.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 1 Old Fort Boulevard, PO Box 918, Fort Scott, Bourbon, 66701-0918
National Park Unit: Yes
Ownership: Betty Boyko
Location Type: Site
Freedom Seekers: Lucinda (KS, 1857)