Built in 1835, the brick Greek Revival Building in Zanesville, OH, is home to the Putnam Presbyterian Church. Although now part of Zanesville, the Church was the major religious center of the Putnam's abolitionist community. Its members actively supported the anti-slavery movement and the Underground Railroad. In fact it was the radical anti-slavery beliefs of the members that led to the church's founding. At one time, the members had attended the Zanesville Presbyterian Church, but when they found that their more radical anti-slavery beliefs were not embraced, they decided to start their own church.
The UGRR activity of other members is well documented in the Siebert Collection, county histories, and personal reminisces. Oral history indicates that the church might have been used to shelter freedom seekers, but so far this has not been corroborated.
The church, which still has an active congregation, was recognized for its involvement in the Underground Railroad on the National Register as part of the Putnam Historic District and by Ohio's Friends of Freedom Society.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 467 Woodlawn Avenue, Zanesville, Muskingum, 43701
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Putnam Presbyterian Church
Location Type: Site
Religious Denominations: Presbyterian