Melrose, a 500-acre property, was built on land in Loudoun County, VA, originally settled in the mid 1700s. It is related to the Underground Railroad because it was the home of both William Giddings and his slave Noble Robinson who escaped in 1862 to Union lines.
On the eve of the Civil War, Lt. Colonel William Giddings commanded a local regiment-the 56th-of Virginia's state militia. In late 1861 he was put in charge of constructing Confederate fortifications near the county seat of Leesburg, Virginia. General D.H. Hill, the senior officer in the county, ordered all able-bodied males - black and white -- not serving in the regular military be put to digging earthworks. To avoid the work, many fled north, including Noble Robinson, 24, a slave of Giddings. Robinson fled Melrose on January 12, 1862, to Union forces some eight miles away at Point of Rocks, Maryland, on the Potomac River. Two weeks later, with the permission of Federal officers, Robinson slipped back into Virginia and rescued his wife Martha and three young children, enslaved at a nearby plantation.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: , Waterford, Loudoun, 20197
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Barbara and Allan Josselyn
Location Type: Site
People/Organizations Associated with the site: Civil War,Contraband,William Giddings (Owner)
Freedom Seekers: Martha (VA, 1862),Noble Robinson
UGRR Operatives: Noble Robinson