Established in 1832 and located in Farmington, Oakland County, Michigan is a small unassuming local historical site called the Quaker Cemetery and/or Quaker Burial Grounds, which is the final resting place of abolitionist and Underground Railroad conductor/agent Nathan Power (19 April 1801 - 20 January 1874). Under the guidance and spiritual instruction of his father Arthur Power, founder of Farmington, Nathan grew steadfast in the Quaker faith, and fighting against all odds dedicated himself to abolishing slavery in America. Farmington Michigan's first and oldest permanent Quaker settlement was a safe haven for freedom-seekers. Located approximately 17 miles northwest of Detroit, MI, Farmington was used as an alternative route on the UGRR when it was deemed too difficult for fugitives to cross the Detroit River to Canada when there was an abundant amount of slave-catchers hanging out on the shoreline. Farmington was a pivot point used by fugitives to move to other safe-havens through Oakland and Macomb counties. They would eventually exit Michigan further north at Port Huron, St. Clair County, MI. Nathan led the charge and answered the call for moving freedom-seekers in Oakland County. He dedicated his life to the cause of freedom, justice and equality for African Americans.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: Gill Road about 6/10 of a mile south of Grand River Ave, between Cortland and State Streets, Farmington, Oakland, 48335
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: The City of Farmington
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: Nathan Power
Religious Denominations: Quaker