The Alexander Majors residence in Nebraska City, Nebraska was the site of the escape of six slaves in 1860. Despite slavery being prohibited in the Nebraska Territory, Alexander Majors moved his family and six enslaved persons to Nebraska City, Nebraska from Kansas City, Missouri in 1858. He purchased sixteen to twenty blocks in the Prairie City Addition of Nebraska City. Here Majors established the headquarters for the Russell, Majors, Waddell Freighting Company. Majors also built his home in the Prairie City Addition at 516 N 14th Street. After living in Nebraska City for two years, Majors' six slaves escaped from his home on the Underground Railroad. The escape of the slaves was reported in the June 30, 1860 edition of the Nebraska City News and a reward of $1000 was offered for the return of the slaves, but they were never recovered.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 516 North 14th Street, Nebraska City, Otoe County, 68410
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Coretta J Whitten
Location Type: Site
People/Organizations Associated with the site: Alexander Majors (Owner)