Established in 1853 and located in Mills County, Iowa is the Tabor Cemetery. As the final resting place of many of those associated with the Underground Railroad in Tabor, Iowa, the cemetery is perhaps the best place to commemorate the town‟s significance to this important history because in many cases it remains the only tangible site that can be associated with those who were involved.1 The Underground Railroad activity of the people of Tabor, Iowa is well documented in reminiscences, correspondence, books, and in the Wilbur H. Siebert collection. These sources underscore that the involvement of this small town in Western Iowa was not just the result of individual efforts, but the community as a whole. As a result of their ties with Oberlin, Ohio and the Congregationalist Church, the settlers of Tabor were adamant in their beliefs of equal rights for all people regardless of race and sex and their participation in the Underground Railroad was an extension of these beliefs.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 26502 Waubonsie Avenue, Tabor, Mills, 51653
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: City of Tabor
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: George B. Gaston,Reverend John Todd,Samuel H. Adams
Religious Denominations: Congregational