The Stone Academy, the only public building in Ohio from the early 1800s still standing, was constructed in 1808 to serve as Ohio's statehouse. Even more significant, is that the building served as the center of the abolitionist movement (formerly Springfield) which in Putnam was heavily intertwined with the UGRR. Putnam was settled primarily by anti-slavery New Englanders while most who settled across the river in Zanesville were pro-slavery Virginians. In 1840, the building was converted to a private residence and, according to oral tradition, was used as a station on the UGRR.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 115 Jefferson Street, Zanesville, Muskingum, 43701
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Pioneer and Historical Society of Muskingum County
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: John Rankin,Theodore Weld,Weld and Henry B. Stanton