Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, was organized in Indianapolis in 1836 and was part of the western expansion of A.M.E. Churches, led by William Paul Quinn in the 1840's. Richard Allen, founder of the denomination, had established the first church, Mother Bethel, in Philadelphia, in 1794. The Indianapolis Station, as it was called was known for its activism. Members of the congregation, assisted freedom seekers on the UGRR. The Ministers risked their lives and freedom, to establish churches in the slave states before 1860. They attended abolitionist meetings, established schools, edited and pubished journals.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 414 West Vermont Street, Indianapolis, Marion, 46202-3215
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Rev. John L. Lambert
Location Type: Site
People/Organizations Associated with the site: A.M.E. Church