The address is located on a public portion of the original Gilead (Grand Rapids, Ohio) homestead of the Thomas Howard and Edward Howard families. Edward and his son Dresden were early conductors on the UGRR in this area of Northwest Ohio. The original log cabin (built as temporary shelter in 1822-1823) and the first permanent stone house dwelling (built 1823-1824) are no longer extant, having long since been dismantled. The third Howard residence at this site, a two-story five colonnaded tavern known as the "Howard House" (built in 1823) was moved approximately four miles east, to 21171 West River Road in Grand Rapids, Ohio in 1932.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 23891 West River Road, Grand Rapids, Wood, 43522
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: City Administrator Village of Grand Rapids
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: Dresden Howard,Edward Howard