About two miles south of Gettysburg, PA and 6 miles north of the Mason-Dixon Line, McAllister's Mill provided shelter to hundreds of freedom seekers during the years leading up to the Civil War, including some delivered to the site by nationally-recognized Underground Railroad conductor, William L. Chaplin. After receiving assistance at the late 18th century grist mill, the formerly enslaved were guided north about 10 miles to the homes of free African Americans and Quaker Abolitionists, forming critical links in one of the earliest regional networks of the Underground Railroad in the nation. Milling operations ceased at the site in the 19th century. The property now includes remnants of the mill building and related mill structures, all set amid large boulders that line Rock Creek in a densely wooded area where the mill once stood.
On July 4, 1836, McAllister's Mill was the site of an early and significant gathering of Abolitionists in Pennsylvania.
Chaired by mill owner and farmer James McAllister, Jr., the group agreed to publish bold anti-slavery principles, which were reportedly ghostwritten by Gettysburg attorney and later U.S. Congressman Thaddeus Stevens. This meeting led to the formation of the Adams County Anti-Slavery Society within six month.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 70 McAllister's Mill Rd, Gettysburg, 17325
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Bruce Stair
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: James McAllister, Jr.,Thaddeus Stevens,William Chaplin