Mount Calvert Historical and Archaeological Park, located along the Patuxent River in Upper Marlborough in Prince George's County, MD, is a 106-acre public park owned and administered by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission. A late eighteenth century brick house and twentieth century barn are the only standing structures on the property. The park includes 76 acres of a tobacco plantation named Mount Calvert, depending on the labor of enslaved African Americans from the 1770s to the end of the Civil War. The plantation was owned by a series of planters, including John Brown and heirs (1774-1812), John Brookes (1835-1858), and Samuel Berry (1859-1871). Africans and African-Americans lived and worked at Mount Calvert from the late seventeenth century through the early twentieth century.
Mount Calvert is linked with the Underground Railroad through runaway advertisements. Owner Samuel Berry placed at least two advertisements in local newspapers during April of 1860 calling for the return of "Dick" and "Charles Sprigg". Another advertisement was placed by an earlier owner John Brookes for his house servants "Susan" and "Arianna" who ran away during 1841.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 16302 Mount Calvert Road, Upper Marlboro, Prince George's, 20772
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Archaeology Program Manager
Location Type: Site