First Congregational Church Detroit's (FCC) initial founding was in 1844. A second building was constructed in 1854 and the present building dates back to 1891. Throught its first three decades, FCC as a congregation, some of its ministers such as Rev. Harvey D. Kitchel, and Rev. Oren C. Thompson and individual members such as Silas Holmes and Samuel P. Mead established substantial contributions to the Underground Railroad and antislavery efforts. FCC, during its early history, demonstrated consistent monetary support of escaped formerly enslaved individuals through Rev. Kitchel's chater membership in and the church's sustained financial support of the Refugees' Home Society (RHS).
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 33 E. Forest Avenue, Detroit, 48201
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Rev. Lottie Jones-Hood
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: Rev. Harvey D. Kitchel,Rev. Oren C. Thompson,Samuel P.Mead,Silas Holmes
Religious Denominations: Congregational