In 1737, Governor Don Manuel de Montian enforced royal edicts of 1693 and 1733, which granted unconditional freedom to slaves escaping from the British southeast. By 1737. a group of about 100 former slaves and free people of color were living in St. Augustine in the legally sanctioned town of Garcia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose or Fort Mose. The fort and settlement were destroyed by British forces in 1740 and second Fort Mose was re-established in 1752 and lasted until 1763 when it was again abandoned. Many residents were skilled workers, blacksmiths, carpenters, cattlemen, boatmen, and farmers. With accompanying women and children, they created a colony of freed people that ultimately attracted other fugitive slaves.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: FORT MOSE STATE HISTORIC PARK, 1340 A A1A South, St. Augustine, 32080
National Park Unit: Yes
Ownership: Paul Crawford
Location Type: Site