Griffith M. Cooper (1791-1864) and his wife Elizabeth Hodgson Cooper (1790-1873) kept a major Underground Railroad station near Lake Ontario in central New York State. Evidence for the Cooper's Underground Railroad work includes 1)a strong family tradition; 2) a letter that Cooper wrote to Frederick Douglass in 1852, reporting that "three emigrants, from the South, via Rochester, left our port for Queen Victoria's dominions, the 19th inst., at 8:00pm";3) a brief account in the 1877 History of Wayne County, New York; 4) an 1895 newspaper account at the time of Frederick Douglass' death, linking Cooper and Douglass as fellow UGRR workers; and 5) an 1898 account by someone who worked with Cooper on the UGRR. The Coopers were Quakers. Griffith's UGRR activity was connected to his work with the American Anti-slavery Society, the Western New York Anti-slavery Society and the Genesee Yearly Meetings of Friends.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 5825 South Ave, Route 21, Williamson, 14589
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Richard Hillman
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: Elizabeth Hodgson Cooper,Griffith M. Cooper