Cumberland County Historical Society is an active history center with an award winning museum, library, photo archives, educational center, and museum shop. The Society’s mission is to collect, preserve, interpret and promote research of Cumberland County history, and has been serving the area since its founding in 1874. The County Commissioners designated the society as the official repository for the county’s historical records dating from the 1750s. The Library and Photo Archives contain many sources relating to the UGRR: books, drop files, photographs, newspaper articles, census records, cemetery records, tax records, pamphlets and special collections, including the Johnson Collection of artifacts and papers relating to the entire history of a Cumberland County African American family from the 1700s to the present. The new Museum encompasses 6,500 square feet and contains 16 galleries, eight changing windows to history and includes two large changing galleries. As part of the Military Exhibit there is a map of Cumberland County highlighting sites associated with the UGRR. The display includes photographs, reward posters, a flyer from Philadelphia to raise funds for Daniel Kaufman’s court costs and newspaper articles about agent Daniel Kaufman. The display also includes information about the 1847 McClintock Riot over runaways.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 21 N. Pitt Street, Carlisle, 17013-0626
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Linda Witmer
Location Type: Facility
Freedom Seekers: James Powell