Information obtained from close family members maintain that the Hunt House was used as a refuge for freedom seekers on the Underground Railroad. The Hunts offered their home as “a comfortable lodging place to many a colored person and to groups of them who were being helped under cover of darkness to freedom a few miles to the north.” The Hunt House, built by Richard P. Hunt in 1829, is most famous as the gathering place of five women, who, in 1848, created the call to the first women’s rights convention. However, there is more history to the house and its earliest inhabitants, for many individuals that were devoted to the women’s rights movement were also committed to the antislavery movement. With Sarah M’Clintock and Jane Master Hunt, Richard P. Hunt’s third and fourth wives, strong familial, spiritual, and social bonds were created with Quaker abolitionist families, the M’Clintocks and the Truman-Underhills. The M’Clintocks, the Hunts, and the Truman-Underhill families were all active in various antislavery and social betterment activities. These families helped to form various antislavery societies, created and/or signed numerous antislavery petitions, and helped to plan or attended antislavery conventions.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: Women's Rights NHP, 401 East Main St, Waterloo, Seneca, 13165
National Park Unit: Yes
Ownership: Tina Orcutt
Location Type: Site
People/Organizations Associated with the site: Jane Master Hunt,Richard P. Hunt,Sarah M’Clintock