Huntington Friends Meetinghouse and Cemetery is the burial site of two of Adams County's most prominent Quaker anti-slavery activists and Underground Railroad stationmasters, William Wright (1788-1865) and Phebe Wierman Wright (1890-1873). Huntington Meetinghouse also contains the remains of other members of the Religious Society of Friends who were active in what has come to be called either Pennsylvania's Southeast Corridor or Central Route of the Underground Railroad, both of which originated in Adams County. In 1750 the original meetinghouse and burial ground was established; however, the meetinghouse was replaced in 1790 by the stone structure that is extant today. This is the only known location to appropriately commemorate the lives of the Wrights. The Wrights assisted approximately one thousand freedom seekers during the period 1819 to about 1860, including Dr. James William Charles (J.W.C.) Pennington, also known as Jim Pembroke. Pennington credits the Wrights with helping him to read and write during his six-month refuge, assistance that enabled him to become a Presbyterian Pastor and author of several books, most notably his narrative of escape from slavery in Maryland entitled The Fugitive Blacksmith (1849).
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: T-627-East Side, RD 2, York Springs, Latimore Township, 17372
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Daniel D. Worley
Location Type: Site
Freedom Seekers: Jacob Shaw,Jim Pembroke
UGRR Operatives: Phebe Wierman Wright,William Wright