In 1846, forty-one members of the First Presbyterian Church of Elmira asked for letters of dismissal for the purpose of forming a new church. This separation from the church resulted over the issue of slavery. These forty-one members were prominent citizens of the area and ardent abolitionists. Under the by-laws of the new church, slavery was forbidden. After the church was established, a fugitive slave, George Jones was hired as the sexton of the church. George Jones was the half-brother of John W. Jones, the main conductor of the Underground Railroad in Elmira, New York.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 208 West Gray Street, Elmira, Chemung, 14901
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Jon R. Homuth
Location Type: Site
Freedom Seekers: John Jones