Text    Click for small text size. Click for medium text size. Click for large text size.         Click to share this page.     Click to print the page.   GO »

Member Details

< Return to Search Results

W. W. Harwood Farm

Three Underground Railroad agents lived along what was known as the Chicago-Detroit Turnpike. William Webb Harwood and Asher Aray were named as conductors by Fitch Reed in a letter to Dr. Wilbur Siebert. Reed described how Asher Aray hid and transported to Detroit a group of escaped slaves traveling with John Fairfield in 1853. The account is documented by Laura Haviland and Edward Preston. Harwood Farm has remained in the family since 1848. Harwood donated land for a Wesleyan church and cemetery. His family and the Arays, who were African American, were buried at the back of the farmstead in Harwood Cemetery.

Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.

Location: 6356 Michigan Avenue, Ann Arbor, 48108

National Park Unit: No

Ownership: Janice and Alfred Harwood

Location Type: Site

UGRR Operatives: Asher Aray,Levi Coffin,Roswell Preston,William Webb Harwood