As early as 1816, the Rocky Fork area is Godfrey, Illinois was one of the first Free State stops for slaves escaping Missouri. In the 1830’s a more organized Underground Railroad route was established through the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The Rocky Fork area continued to serve as both a way stop and escapee community well after the Missouri Emancipation Proclamation of 1865. Since 1921 part of the Rocky Fork area has been used as a Boy Scout Camp however, physical evidence still exists of the escapees and their helpers. Various family stories, community memories and documents attest to the significance of the area. The primary boundaries of the Rocky Fork area include land in Sections 17, 20, 21, 28, 29, and 33 of Godfrey Township 6 North, Range 10 West. Satellite sites are reflected in Sections 4, 5, and 10.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: Rocky Fork Road and 550 Boy Scout Lane, Godfrey, 62035
National Park Unit: Yes
Ownership: Clementine Kennedy, Trustee
Location Type: Site
People/Organizations Associated with the site: A.M.E. Church