Teaching American History in Maryland is a collaborative program of the Maryland State Archives and the Center for History Education (CHE), University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), and the following sponsoring school systems: Anne Arundel County Public Schools, the Baltimore City Public School System, and Baltimore County Public Schools.
Other program partners include the Martha Ross Center for Oral History, Maryland Historical Society, State Library Resource Center/Enoch Pratt Free Library, with assistance from the National Archives and Records Administration and the Library of Congress. The program is funded through grants from the U.S. Department of Education.
The State Archives of Maryland seriesTeaching American History in Maryland: Documents for the Classroomwas researched and developed by Dr. Edward C. Papenfuse, Maryland State Archives, Dr. M. Mercer Neale, Boys' Latin School, and Nancy Bramucci, Maryland State Archives, with the assistance of Lynne MacAdam, Maryland State Archives, and graduate students in the Public History Program at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC).
Documents for the Classroommakes facsimiles of original documents available for use by teachers and students in elementary and secondary schools, as well as colleges and universities.
Access to materials linked within these document packets is intended for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or holders of other rights (such as publicity and privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. The responsibility for making an independent legal assessment and independently securing any necessary rights rests with persons desiring to use particular items in the context of the intended use.
In 1813 the United States was embroiled in the midst of the War of 1812 against the British. Washington had just been burned and the British were turning their attention to Baltimore. Defenses at Ft McHenry were prepared and the commander, Major George Armistead felt that the only thing still needed for the fort. He approached Mary about making the flag, whose dimensions would measure 30 feet hoist by 42 feet fly.
Mary agreed to make the flag in time period of only six weeks. With help from her daughter and two nieces, Mary sewed the flag in her small Baltimore home. When the flag became too large, it was taken to Claggett's Brewery where it was laid out on the floor of the basement so that it could be completed.
On September 14, 1814 the flag was raised over Ft. McHenry after the Americans succeeded in defending the city against British invasion. Francis Scott Key, who was being held captive by the British aboard ship, saw the flag and penned the famous poem "The Defense of Ft McHenry", now known as the "Star-Spangled Banner."
Other Document collections related to the War of 1812 include: