The Stilled Passage 2012 Exhibition
September 30, 2012 - January 6, 2013
Third Floor Exhibition Gallery, Ellis Island
This exhibition of 65 color photographs by photographer Philip Calabria, is intended to introduce the museum visitor to the beauty, mystery and evocative scenes that reside within the unrestored buildings of Ellis Island. These buildings were once home to the island's hospital, contagious disease and isolation wards, nurses' quarters, doctors' residences, and laundry facilities and other support functions.
Using both artificial and natural light, the photographs capture the varying surfaces inside the buildings that mark time, weather and the presence of the many lives that passed through them. The goal of the exhibit is to engage visitors in the metaphor, drama and emotional richness of these spaces and enable them to leave with a greater understanding and appreciation of Ellis Island beyond the public areas.
The exhibit is organized by Philip Calabria, Chair, Visual Arts Program, Northfield Mount Hermon School and the Northfield Mount Hermon School.
About Ellis Island
Opened on January 1, 1892, Ellis Island became the nation's premier federal immigration station. In operation until 1954, the station processed over 12 million immigrant steamship passengers. The main building was restored after 30 years of abandonment and opened as a museum on September 10, 1990.
Did You Know?
The Statue's original torch was the first part constructed in 1876. In 1984 it was replaced by a new copper torch covered in 24K gold leaf which is lighted by floodlight at night. The original torch is currently located in the lobby of the monument. Access to the torch has been closed since 1916.