Statue of Liberty crown tickets go on sale
Contact: Mindi Rambo, 212-363-3206 x106
Contact: Daphne Yun, 212-363-3206 x211
New York, NY - Tickets to visit the crown of the Statue of Liberty are now available online, David Luchsinger, superintendent of Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island, announced today. The crown will reopen on October 28, following a year of renovations.
"We are delighted to once again open Lady Liberty's doors to the public," Luchsinger, said. "Providing better access, safer conditions and accommodating more visitors make this even more special."
Some work inside the pedestal remains to be done, and that work will limit access to sections of the pedestal and the museum exhibit inside the monument. During this period of limited access, visitors with crown tickets will be able to visit the crown, the pedestal-observation level and a portion of the top of the star-shaped fort that serves as the base for the Statue. The monument is expected to fully reopen in early 2013. Once full operations resume, the pedestal, museum and crown tickets will be available online as well. Tickets may be purchased online at www.statuecruises.com or by calling (201) 604-2800. Crown tickets are only available by reservation.
Keep checking our web site at www.nps.gov/stli, our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/StatueLibrtyNPS and our Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/StatueLibrtyNPS to keep abreast of our latest news from Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island.
About Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island Located on a 12-acre island in New York Harbor, the Statue, Liberty Enlightening the World, was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the people of the United States and is a universal symbol of freedom and democracy. The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886, designated as a National Monument in 1924 and restored for her centennial on July 4, 1986.
- NPS -
Did You Know?
Several agencies have been caretakers for the Statue. The U.S. Lighthouse Board cared for the statue as the first electric lighthouse or "navigational aid" 1886 - 1902, followed by the War Department 1902 - 1933 and since 1933 she has been cared for by employees of the National Park Service.