• Statue of Liberty N.M.

    Statue Of Liberty

    National Monument New York

Early European Use of Liberty and Ellis Islands

Fort Wood Historic Structure Report

Historic Structure Report for Fort Wood

National Park Service, Statue of Liberty NM

Early European use of Liberty and Ellis Islands, including the construction of Fort Wood and Fort Gibson as part of the military defense system of New York

Information on the architecture and historic structure of Fort Wood can be accessed in the museum archives, summarized in the Fort Wood Historic Structure Report. The history of Fort Gibson is available for research in the archeology survey report in the library and museum collection. In addition to reports, the archives also have copies of the original technical drawings of the forts and their accompanying support buildings.

 
Fort Gibson archeology survey report
A monograph for the 1993 archeological dig for the Wall of Honor
National Park Service, Statue of Liberty NM
 
Blueprint of the powder magazine in Fort Wood
Blueprint of the powder magazine in Fort Wood
National Park Service, Statue of Liberty NM
 

Did You Know?

Original

The Statue's original torch was the first part constructed in 1876. In 1984 it was replaced by a new copper torch covered in 24K gold leaf which is lighted by floodlight at night. The original torch is currently located in the lobby of the monument. Access to the torch has been closed since 1916.