94th United States Army Band An Exemplary Military Tradition
Contact: Joanne Gangi-Wellman, (413) 348-4810
SPRINGFIELD, MA. Springfield Armory National Historic Site is pleased to welcome the talented 94th United States Army Band.The concert begins at 7:30pm on Saturday, August 17, 2013, behind the museum building. The 94th Army Band represents one of the nation's finest and time honored military bands.Admission is free.Inclement weather moves the concert indoors.
Based in Windsor, Connecticut, the 94th has a long tradition. The unit's website notes, for over 230 years, "band members have always been an important part of the U.S. Army.The U.S. Army is the largest single employer of musicians in the world and our bands perform stateside and all over the world as ambassadors for the United States and the U.S. Army."
Chief of Interpretation, Joanne M. Gangi-Wellman commented that "Springfield Armory is the ideal place for this Army band concert.Having served the United States Armed Forces through 174 years of firearms production for the Army, now, the Springfield Armory NHS is pleased to invite the 94th Army Band to perform on Armory grounds."
Audience members will delight in watching the night's music experience unfold. Music on August 17 includes outstanding patriotic songs as well as jazz and blues selections. Bring a chair or blanket, enjoy picnic suppers, or purchase items from food vendors on site. Parking is free. This concert is co-sponsored by Springfield Technical Community College.
Springfield Armory National Historic Site commemorates and preserves the site of our Nation's first armory, established in 1794. Managed with the Commonwealth of MA, Springfield Technical Community College and the National Park Service, it is the home of the world's largest historic American military firearms collection. The site is open daily, 9 AM- 5 PM.
Admission is free. For information call 413-734-8551 or check www.nps.gov/spar.
Did You Know?
Springfield Arsenal, a military supply depot, was sited by General Henry Knox, and approved by General George Washington in 1777. The arsenal became known as Springfield Armory in 1794 when on-site small arms manufacturing was approved by President Washington. More...