The Kelderhouse farm is located next to the Kelderhouse/Port Oneida Cemetery on the east side of Port Oneida Road across the road from the Port Oneida School. The parcel of land was owned by descendants of Thomas Kelderhouse from 1863 until its acquisition by the National Park Service in 1970. A log cabin, was built by his son, William, around the late 1880's. Prior to construction, this site may have been the location of the Kelderhouse sawmill. It is near the setting of the former Evangelical Lutheran church and the Port Oneida School and Community Club. The house is surrounded by sugar maple trees that were planted by students from the school. The Kelderhouses tapped the trees to make maple syrup. Remains of the once extensive orchards, planted by Rolland Kelderhouse in the late 1920's can be seen to the east and south of the farm.
The 65-acre farm was a central gathering place for Port Oneida residents. The present house, which William built around 1910, was once used as a grocery store, telephone exchange, and post office, all run by his wife, Charlotte. The barn was torn down approximately 1950.
Did You Know?
In the US, invasive species are the second biggest threat to native ecosystems after habitat loss. They reduce diversity, alter disturbance regimes, and have cascading effects on food webs, costing upwards of $140 Billion per year. More...