Cottages History Meeting
Following in the footsteps of a number of local historians, Sitka National Historical Park is researching the history of “the Cottages,” the historic neighborhood located along Kelly and Metlakatla streets at the edge of the Sheldon Jackson campus. This neighborhood was established in the late 1880s by the Presbyterian mission school. Its residents were Native graduates who demonstrated the new way of life offered by the training school. A number of early residents become leaders in Alaska Native history, including many of the founding members of the Alaska Native Brotherhood.
To ensure that all who have an interest in this history have an opportunity to participate, a public meeting will be held at the Alaska Native Brotherhood Hall on Saturday, May 3rd from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. All those who are interested in this topic or would like to share history, memories or photographs of the Cottages are invited to attend. A selection of photographs of the neighborhood will be available to view. Participants will have the opportunity to record or schedule a taped interview for the project, but this is not a requirement.
Refreshments will be served. Those needing help with transportation or who would like more information please call the project’s organizers, Ryan Madden or Kristen Griffin, at 747-0132.
Did You Know?
Sitka National Historical Park has the distinction of being the oldest federally designated park in Alaska. It was designated as a park by President Benjamin Harrison on June 21, 1890. More...