Bears of North America Evening Program and Book Signing
Date: November 25, 2011
PIO or Contact Person: Becky Latanich
Telephone Number: 747-0132
Park Sponsors "Bears of North America" Evening Program and Book Signing
Sitka National Historical Park (November 25, 2011) -Please join Matthias Breiter, author of Bears-- A Year in the Life (2006) and The Bears of Katmai (2008) for his evening program, "Bears of North America." The program will take place on Thursday, December 8th at 7:00 p.m. at the Sitka National Historical Park Visitor Center Theater.
Breiter, who is presently finishing his Ph.D. thesis on aggression in bears, has been a frequent lecturer at zoos and also the Smithsonian Institution about bear biology and bear conservation. He has worked as a cinematographer with the National Geographic Society, Discovery Channel and several other TV producers on documentaries both on polar bears and brown bears.Breiter is deeply involved with conservation efforts involving the American and Canadian Arctic and Subarctic and is a founding member and fellow of the International League of Conservation Photographers (ILCP).
A book signing will immediately follow the presentation. His four publications, Inside Passage ($39.95), Wild Alaska ($39.95), and Bears-- A Year in the Life ($24.95) and The Bears of Katmai (19.95) will be available for purchase through the park's Cooperating Association-Alaska Geographic.
About the National Park Service. More than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for America's 395 national parks and work with communities across the nation to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities. Learn more at www.nps.gov/sitkor visit our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/SitkaNationalHistoricalPark.
Did You Know?
Alaska’s Governor John Brady asked leaders from several southeast Alaska villages to donate totem poles for public exhibitions outside of Alaska, and eventually, for display at Sitka’s popular public park. More than a dozen Tlingit and Haida poles were placed along the park’s trail in 1906. More...