Two-story building painted yellow, with white windows and red roof, surrounded by a wooden picket fence, with blue sky and mountains in the background.

Painted the colors representing the Russian American Company, the Russian Bishop's House appears as it would have during colonial times.

NPS photo

Russian Bishop's House
The Russian Bishop's House is the best remaining example of Russian American architecture in the United States and a symbol of the Russian culture's interaction with Native groups.

Learn more about the Russian Bishop's House

Looking upstream along Indian River, with shallow rocky shoreline on both sides, lined with green spruce and hemlock and leaf-bare alder.

Sitka National Historical Park lies at the mouth of the Indian River in a region rich with natural resources.

NPS photo

Indian River
Both the native Tlingit and Russian colonists relied upon Indian River as a convenient source of fish, wildlife, and plants. Now the river is a popular site for social and recreational activities.

Learn more about the history of the Indian River.

Black and white photograph of a large group of people gathered in a grassy field, with two large totem poles and spruce trees behind them.

Though officially named Sitka National Historical Park, locals often refer to the park as Totem Park or Lover's Lane.

E.W. Merrill

Sitka NHP History
Designated as a park in 1890 by President Benjamin Harrison, Sitka National Historical Park is the oldest national park unit in Alaska, preserving Tlingit and Russian cultural objects and heritage.

Learn more about the park's history

Did You Know?