• Sitka National Historical Park Visitor Center Mountains

    Sitka

    National Historical Park Alaska

Places

Sitka NHP's Russian Bishop's House has stood near the city's downtown since 1842.

Painted the colors representing the Russian American Company, the Russian Bishop's House appears as it would have during colonial times.

NPS photo

Russian Bishop's House
The Russian Bishop's House is the best remaining example of Russian American architecture in the United States and a symbol of the Russian culture's interaction with Native groups.

Learn more about the Russian Bishop's House

 
By 1890, use of Indian River necessitated legislation to protect the landscape.

Sitka National Historical Park lies at the mouth of the Indian River in a region rich with natural resources.

NPS photo

Indian River
Both the native Tlingit and Russian colonists relied upon Indian River as a convenient source of fish, wildlife, and plants. Now, the river is a popular site for social and recreational activities.

Learn more about the history of the Indian River.

 
Sitka NHP was designated as a park on June 21, 1890.

Though officially named Sitka National Historical Park, locals often refer to the park as Totem Park or Lover's Lane.

E.W. Merrill

Sitka NHP History
Designated as a park in 1890 by President Benjamin Harrison, Sitka National Historical Park is the oldest national park unit in Alaska, preserving Tlingit and Russian cultural objects and heritage.

Learn more about the park's history

Did You Know?

Map of Alaska and the continental United States

With 570,374 square miles, Alaska is twice the size of Texas and 1/5 the size of the rest of the United States. It stretches 2,400 miles east-to-west and 1,420 miles north-to-south.