Shiloh Battlefield Visitor Center to Close for Remodeling
On October 27, Shiloh Battlefield's Visitor Center will close for remodeling. The work will take two to three weeks to complete. Visitors will be able to view the park movie and receive assistance from rangers in a tent erected next to the park bookstore. More »
Shiloh National Military Park
Congress established Shiloh National Military Park on December 27, 1894 to commemorate the April 6-7, 1862 battle that raged around Shiloh Church and Pittsburg Landing. Producing more than 23,000 casualties, the battle was the largest engagement in the Mississippi Valley campaign during the Civil War. Originally under the War Department, Shiloh National Military Park was transferred to the National Park Service in the Department of the Interior in 1933. Currently, the park has over 4,200 acres. The Corinth Battlefield Unit encompass roughly 240 acres with potential for a total of 800 acres. For more information, click on the following links:
Did You Know?
The Confederate army captured more than 2,200 Federal defenders of the Hornet's Nest at Shiloh. The prisoners spent six months in various Confederate prison camps before being exchanged for Confederate prisoners in the fall of 1862.