Fire Records and Fire Management Maps
Below are links to: 1) annual fire atlases with a year-end fire summary, 2) burn area maps for specific areas of the parks and 3) links to maps and information about currently active fires in the parks. Most maps are in JPG or Acrobat PDF format. If you need the free Acrobat viewer, you can download it here.
A database of GIS data on the park's fire history is also available.
These maps and accompanying text show prescribed natural fires, suppressed lightning fires, human-caused wildfires, and planned and completed prescribed burns in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. A bar plot summarizing area burned annually with the Parks since 1968 when our prescribed fire program began is shown below.
2014 (612 kb pdf)
2013 (590 kb pdf)
2012 (411 kb pdf)
2011 (260 kb pdf)
2010 (253 kb pdf)
2009 (542 kb pdf)
2008 (577 kb pdf)
2007 (542 kb pdf)
2006 (505 kb pdf)
2005 (616 kb pdf)
2004 (411 kb pdf)
2003 (340 kb pdf)
2002 (150 kb pdf)
2001 (217 kb pdf)
2000 (192 kb pdf)
1999 (203 kb pdf)
1998 (274 kb pdf)
1997 (154 kb pdf)
1996 (216 kb pdf)
1995 (62 kb pdf)
- Burned Areas - Giant Forest, Sequoia National Park: Prescribed and wildfires since the 1970's, current as of 5/23/05 (569 kb PDF).
- Burned Areas - Redwood Mountain, Kings Canyon National Park: Kings Canyon National Park: Prescribed and wildfires since the 1960's, current as of 6/14/98 (247 KB PDF).
- Burned Areas - Grant Grove, Prescribed burns and wildfires in the Grant Grove area, current as of 7/13/2005 (157 KB PDF).
- Burned Areas - Cedar Grove, Prescribed burns and wildfires in the Cedar Grove area, current through 2001 (279 KB PDF).
- Burned Areas - East Fork Watershed of the Kaweah River, All fires in the East Fork from 1921 though 2001 (111 KB PDF).
- Burned Areas - Kern Watershed, All fires in the Upper Kern drainage.