Fort Pulaski National Monument
is located on Cockspur Island in Chatham
County, Georgia, approximately 15 miles east of Savannah. The monument,
named after Revolutionary War hero Count
Casimir Pulaski, was first established in October of 1924 by
order of President Calvin Coolidge. It was transferred from the
War Department to the Department of Interior in July of 1933. Since
that time, it has been the National Park Service's mission to restore,
manage, and protect Fort Pulaski National Monument for the benefit
of the public.
Part of this mission includes the identification and interpretation
of cultural materials located within the monument's boundaries.
To accomplish this, archeology is used to provide park managers,
employees, and visitors with a greater understanding of the people
who once occupied and modified the land on which Fort Pulaski is
Echoes from the Past: The Archeology of Fort Pulaski was
created to provide anyone interested in Fort Pulaski and the surrounding
area with summary information on historical and archeological research
conducted at this national monument. In addition, this site seeks
to emphasize the fact that there is much more work to be
done if we are to gain a better understanding of the people
who occupied this area of coastal Georgia and of their relation
to the changing world around them.