Salinas Pueblo Missions is a curious park in that it is a collection of three discontinuous units, each with distinct Spanish Missions, Native American Pueblos, and a variety of other historic buildings and ruins. The park started on November 1, 1909 with the preservation of the Gran Quivira unit. This first park, Gran Quivira National Monument was joined in 1980 by the Abo and Quarai Units which were transferred to the National Park Service from New Mexico State Monuments. The two new units were combined with Gran Quivira to create Salinas National Monument, which was renamed Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument in 1988.
Each of the three units would easily make an incredible National Monument on their own. For this reason it is difficult to briefly summarize the individual locations, staggering architecture, and historical significance of the three units. In light of this fact, in the following pages each unit is divided into its own section with additional pages for highlighted features, buildings, and structures.
Did You Know?
The mission of San Gregorio de Abó was started around 1623 and renovated in about 1645. Construction of Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Cuarac at Quaraí was begun in 1627. At Gran Quivira, the small visita church of San Isidro was begun around 1631 and the larger church at Gran Quivira, San Buenaventura, was later started in 1659.