Park News

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS

November 17, 2015
Community Invited to Park Open House Event in Eads
Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site and Superintendent Alexa Roberts cordially invite you to a free Holiday Open House on December 7, 2015.

November 17, 2015
17th Annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run/Walk
The 17th Annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run begins November 26, 2015, at the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site.

November 17, 2015
Park Observes the 151st Anniversary of the Sand Creek Massacre
This year marks the 151st anniversary of the Sand Creek Massacre. This dark chapter in the history of the United States will be commemorated in two free programs in Kiowa County on Sunday, November 29, 2015.

November 16, 2015
Sand Creek Massacre NHS Park Switches to Winter Hours
The Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site will change to its winter schedule beginning Tuesday, December 1, 2015.

June 22, 2015
Sand Creek Massacre NHS Partners with Crow Luther Cultural Events Center to Present Free Showing of Award-Winning Film
Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site partnered with the Crow-Luther Cultural Events Center to offer a free showing of the documentary film The Sand Creek Massacre and the Civil War.

June 08, 2015
General Management Plan for Sand Creek Massacre NHS Prepared for Public Review
The National Park Service is in the final stages of developing a long-term management plan for Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site.

April 23, 2015
Tourism to Sand Creek Massacre NHS Creates over $400,000 in Economic Benefits
Report shows visitor spending supports 7 jobs in local economy

March 25, 2015
Sand Creek Massacre NHS Park Switches to Summer Schedule
The Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site will switch to its summer schedule beginning Wednesday, April 1, 2015.

150th Anniversary News Releases:

1,000 join in weekend of ceremonies, events to mark 150 years since Sand Creek Massacre
Massacre, Mistrust, and Misery - December 2014
The Sand Creek Massacre - November 2014
The Letter and the Leaders - October 2014
Lone Bear's Family and the Sand Creek Massacre - September 2014
The August Proclamation and the Third Colorado Cavalry - August 2014
Evans' "Proclamation to the Friendly Indians" - July 2014
Hungate Family Murdered - June 2014
Murder of Chief Lean Bear Results in Revenge - May 2014
Colorado in the Civil War - April 2014
The Gold Rush and the Plains of Colorado -March 2014
A Tale of Two Treaties - February 2014
The Southern Cheyenne Odyssey - January 2014

Previous News:

"From the Warpath to the White Man's Road" - Stacy Riggs Program - October 25, 2014
Walking Tour of the Sand Creek Massacre - September 13, 2014
August 1864: Colorado Territory - Walking Tour - August 9, 2014
"And Still He Stayed!" - Black Kettle Presentation - July 19, 2014
July 4 Programs - Walking Tour and Presentation
Third Cavalry Regiment, Colorado (U.S.) Volunteers - June 28, 2014 Walking Tour
Cheyenne and Arapaho Footsteps - May 17, 2014 Walking Tour
Night Tour of Sand Creek Massacre - April 19, 2014
Tour of Bent's New Fort - March 15, 2014
News Releases Memorialize 150th Anniversary of Sand Creek Massacre
Sand Creek Massacre NHS Reopens to Public

Informational Bulletins and Briefs:
What's in a Word? - Information on use of the word "Militia" from seasonal ranger Jeff Campbell.

Natural Resource Bulletins and Briefs:
Birds - A summary of some of the bird species.
Cottonwoods - Notes on the trees of Sand Creek.
Fish - Study results on what fish can be found in Sand Creek.
Hydrogeology - Information on the creek's course.
Pollen Project - Analysis on pollen in soils samples.
Prairie Dogs - Details of this important high plains genus.
Rare Species - Some Threatened and Endangered Species use Sand Creek in migrations or as their homes.
Site Location Study Brief - A condensed version of the Site Location Study.
Soils - Sandy and loamy, humans can impact soils and plants greatly.
Special Resource Study Brief - A reduced version of the Special Resource Study.
Vegetation - The high plains boasts important native grasses and plants.
Wetlands - Despite the dry conditions, Sand Creek can boast high groundwater levels and riparian areas.

Safety Bulletins and Briefs:
Dehydration - On the dry high plains, thirst can be an important issue.
Heat Exhaustion - In summer, temperatures can reach well over 100 degrees.
Lightning - Thunderstorms often sweep across Sand Creek.
Plague - Prairie dogs can suffer from this disease and potentially pass it to humans.
Rattlesnakes - 95% of rattlesnake bites result from people harassing or moving the snake; this brief details ways to avoid bites from the remaining 5%.
Ticks - May carry Lyme Disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
Tornadoes - Safety tips regarding these forces of nature.

Looking for more information?

Explore the other pages in this section to learn more.

Photos & Multimedia

History & Culture





Did You Know?