Field Trip Program
Ecohelpers Service Learning Program
The EcoHelpers program is curriculum-based and focuses on science principles learned through hands-on restoration activities. The program's theme, removing non-native invasive plants and restoring native plants, will improve the habitat for wildlife in the Santa Monica Mountains. Students will understand that invasive plants can damage the natural communities that produce food and shelter to sustain native wildlife. Students will recognize that improving natural communities can improve native habitats, food chains, and the local food web.
Applications will be accepted starting June 15th for the 2013 - 2014 school year.
Santa Monica Mountains Education Program Staff
805 370-2348 or 805 370-2314
- Grade Levels:
- Ninth Grade-Twelfth Grade
- Biology: Animals, Biology: Plants, Civic Engagement, Climate, Climate Change, Community, Conservation, Earth Science, Ecology, Environment, Fire Ecology, Landscapes, Planning/Development, Public Policy, Wildlife Biology, Wildlife Management
- National/State Standards:
- California Benchmarks for Biology/Life Sciences: Ecology, Language Arts and History/Social Science: Historical Interpretation and Los Angeles Unified School District’s Service Learning requirements for Graduation.
- ecology, Wildland-Urban Interface, invasive species, service learning
- Field Trip Program