Friendship Mast Sections to be Removed
Contact: Jonathan Parker, 978-210-4245
SALEM , MA- Portions of the forward and middle masts onboard the Friendship of Salem will be removed by a large crane on November 15th, 2013 as part of scheduled maintenance work. The entire length of Derby Wharf and the Friendship will be closed to the public while the work is underway. Park visitors and local residents will be permitted to observe the lifting operation from adjacent Hatches and Central Wharves. While regularly scheduled park tours will be not visit the Friendship during this period, park staff will be on-site to answer questions about the lifting operations throughout the day.
This month's work is the beginning of a two-year "down-rigging" period in which the ship's mast, spars and rigging will be systematically removed for inspection, repair and/or replacement through 2015. The removal of various components of Friendship's rig will significantly alter her appearance during this period of time. The upper section of the 36-foot, 1-ton fore and main topgallant/royal masts will be the first components to be removed next week.
In the event of inclement weather on November 15ththe park will reschedule the operation for November 18-19th, 2013.
Did You Know?
Salem native Captain John Derby was the first to bring news of the Battle of Lexington and Concord to England when he sailed from Derby Wharf in April 1775. In 1783, Captain John Derby was also the first person to bring news of the signing of the Treaty of Paris to America.