Fishing Prohibition on Hold
On 8/20/14 the park issued a rule change prohibiting fishing throughout the park due to concerns over water quality and visitor safety. The fishing prohibition is now on hold, pending further review - click for more information. More »
The Hawkes House
The Derbys, however, never completed the house. Instead, they moved away from the waterfront to a house in the center of town. The unfinished building was purchased and completed around 1800 by Benjamin Hawkes, who owned a shipyard next to Derby Wharf.
The Hawkes House is a fine example of the large Federal style homes built throughout Salem in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. These three-story tall, square buildings usually featured a beautifully carved and painted entrance and many windows to let light and air into the gracefully decorated rooms.
Visting the Hawkes House
The Hawkes House is the administrative office building for Salem Maritime. It is not open to the public at this time.
For More Information
On Architecture in Salem:
On Samuel McIntire:
Did You Know?
In 1799, Salem native Nathaniel Bowditch revised John H. Moore's New Practical Navigator, the standard navigation manual of the 18th century. Bowditch discovered and corrected over 8,000 errors in Moore's manual! In 1802, Bowditch published the New American Practical Navigator.