Fishing Prohibition on Hold
On 8/20/14 the park issued a rule change prohibiting fishing throughout the park due to concerns over water quality and visitor safety. The fishing prohibition is now on hold, pending further review - click for more information. More »
Archaeology of the Derby Counting House
Derby Wharf has not always been as serene and park-like as it is today. For the first 150 years of its existence, it was filled with warehouses large and small, containing stored cargo, workshops, and merchants' offices. However, as Salem's international trade and maritime fleet declined in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the buildings were torn down or succumbed to weather since they were not thought to be important enough to save. Today, we know that the buildings associated with daily life -warehouses, bake houses, dairy houses, slave quarters, and especially privies (outdoor bathrooms), to name a few - can greatly enrich our understanding of how people in the past lived. So, in order to understand more about our national parks, the National Park Service uses historical archaeology to excavate and study the remains of vanished structures. This project is about what was once one of the most important buildings on Derby Wharf. The "Upper Store House," built in 1765, which between the late 1780s and 1799 housed the "counting house" or business office of Elias Hasket Derby.
Did You Know?
During the American Revolution, Salem was the most successful privateering port in America. Salem's 158 privateering vessels captured 445 English vessels.