• American Camp parade ground looking west

    San Juan Island

    National Historical Park Washington

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • American Camp Visitor Center on Summer Schedule

    The American Camp visitor center is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily through September 1. Grounds remain open daily from dawn to 11 p.m More »

  • English Camp Visitor Contact Station on Summer Schedule

    The English Camp visitor contact station in the Royal Marine Barracks is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., daily through September 1. Grounds are open daily from dawn to 11 p.m.

Park Host Resident Program

Elly Smith
Elly Smith, with her husband Gordon, for more than 11 years served as a park host at American Camp.
Mandy Lee Photo
 

Volunteer Park Host Openings:

Fall 2011

Winter 2011-2012

Spring 2012

Summer 2012

Apply Here

Fall/Winter/Spring park hosts
serve primarily as information specialists, living in the park and working at the American Camp visitor center. In the shoulder seasons, the park welcomes couples or singles who own trailers or motorhomes and can commit to working a minimum 32 hours each a week.

Summer Park Hosts serve at both American and English camps. We prefer three-month commitments for summer positions as it is the height of the tourist season on San Juan Island.

The park has two trailer pads at American Camp with full hook-ups and spectacular views of the Olympic Mountains and Strait of Juan de Fuca. The park reimburses ferry fares to the island.

Park hosts are usually the initial contact with visitors, and often the only contact the visitor has with the National Park Service. Duties include answering questions, giving directions and handling sales of books, postcards, pins and related materials. Park host couples must be physically fit, at least 21 years of age.

We pledge to provide Volunteers in the Park (VIP) with the education, tools, materials and equipment necessary to perform all tasks. This includes but is not limited to: any necessary training; a volunteer name tag, baseball cap, sleeve and cap emblems and protection against personal injury while on the job.

Contact: Mike Vouri, (360)378-2902. Or e-mail.

For additional information, click on the links in the right column of this page.

Did You Know?

Did You Know?

The English Camp barracks was originally used as the privates' mess until extended in 1867. During the restoration process in the early 1970's a pot of gold coins and currency was found in the attic. The treasure belonged to the Crook family, who settled on the site in 1875.