• American Camp parade ground looking west

    San Juan Island

    National Historical Park Washington

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • English Camp Visitor Contact Station on Winter Schedule

    The English Camp visitor contact station in the Royal Marine Barracks is closed for the season, starting September 2. Grounds are open daily from dawn to 11 p.m.

  • American Camp Visitor Center on Winter Schedule

    The American Camp visitor center is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily from September 2 to June 6, 2015. Grounds remain open daily from dawn to 11 p.m. Telephone 360-378-2240, ext. 2227 or 2226 for information. More »

Operating Hours & Seasons

american camp vc snow
The American Camp visitor center, located on Cattle Point Road on the island's southern peninsula, serves year-round as the primary contact station for the park.
NPS Photo
 

American Camp Visitor Center

Open:
May 31-September 1, 2014:
Daily: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

September 2, 2014-June 6, 2015:
Wednesday - Sunday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Grounds are open dawn to 11 p.m. daily.

Phone: (360)378-2240, ext. 2226, 2228, 2229 or 2227

Location: The Visitor Center entrance road is on the right, just past the park entrance on Cattle Point Road, the primary southbound thoroughfare on San Juan Island. Please, the entrance road speed limit is 15 mph.

Closures: Christmas, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving.

Special Programs: Ranger guided history walks, nature programs and orientations during summer season.

Exhibits: Four cases of archaeological objects from American and English camps, Treaty of Oregon display, historical photo murals, Puget Sound prairie display and a "Pig War" orientation program on dvd.

Available Facilities: Full-service restrooms, water fountain (the water has a high sodium content; bottled water also is for sale), picnic area with tables, book, souvenir and postcard sales. A golf cart is available for transport to the redoubt late spring to early fall for those with accessibility issues.

 
Visitors use a spotting scope to view an osprey nest at the English Camp visitor center.
Visitors use a spotting scope to view an osprey nest from the English Camp visitor center.
NPS Photo
 

EnglishCamp Visitor Center

Open:
May 31-September 1, 2014
Open Daily: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Grounds are open dawn to 11 p.m. daily.

Closed:
September 2, 2014-June 6, 2015.
Grounds are open dawn to 11 p.m. daily.


Location: Off West Valley Road, between Yachthaven and Roche Harbor roads.

Closures: Closed during the winter season through May 31, except for the Holiday Social scheduled noon-3 p.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013 in the Royal Marine Barracks.

Special Programs: Ranger guided walks, living history, nature orientations. Encampment 2013 event is scheduled July 27-28, 2013; the Inter-Tribal Canoe Journey Community Potluck July 19; and the Weaving Weekend, August 3-4.

Exhibits: English Camp Then and Now photography exhibition and 12-minute dvd program on the history of the "Pig War" and camp.

Available Facilities: Public restrooms in parking area and on the parade ground, water fountain, picnic tables in parking area. Bottled water, book, souvenir and postcard sales are located in the barracks. An all-terrain vehicle is available for those with accessibility issues.

 

Did You Know?

Belle Vue Sheep Farm in 1859

Belle Vue Sheep Farm, founded in 1853 on San Juan Island, was a classic HBC sheep station with two rows of tidy log houses, heavy-duty fencing for sheep pens and an English-style, double-bay barn. Its establishment created tensions that nearly brought war with the United States. More...