Park on Summer Schedule
The American Camp visitor center is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. The English Camp contact station is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Grounds at both units are open from dawn to 11 p.m. These hours remain in effect through September 2. More »
Detours Around Downed Skagit Bridge Functioning Well
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WDOT) has posted the link below for both northbound and southbound detours around the collapsed Skagit River Bridge on Intertstate 5. More »
2009 Holiday Social Set for English Camp
Contact: Mike Vouri, (360) 378-2240, ext. 2227
Join San Juan Island National Historical Park staff and volunteers for the annual old-fashioned Holiday Social, tree-trimming and cookie potluck from noon to 3 p.m., Saturday, December 5, at English Camp.
Visitors are invited to bring holiday cookies and ornaments to hang on the tree, which will be erected in the old British Royal Marine Light Infantry barracks building -- just as it was likely done in the mid-1860s when the camp was in its heyday.
The park's 2009 Volunteer of the Year award and volunteer recognition is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Admission is free. The park will provide beverages, two crackling fires to warm the bones and entertainment to include staff and volunteer re-enactors in period uniforms and dress, storytelling and folk dancing with "Sugar on the Floor." Volunteer awards also will be presented.
A motorized golf cart will be available in the English Camp parking area for persons with accessibility needs. For information, call 378-2240, ext. 2227 or 2221.
In Photos (left to right) Darlene and Francis dance; the men of Battery D; and Michael Cohen plays.
Did You Know?
American Camp's Officers' Quarters, built in 1859-1860, is the oldest structure on San Juan Island. It may have once been home to Capt. George E. Pickett of Civil War fame.