English Camp Visitor Contact Station on Summer Schedule
The English Camp visitor contact station in the Royal Marine Barracks is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., daily through September 1. Grounds are open daily from dawn to 11 p.m.
American Camp Visitor Center on Summer Schedule
The American Camp visitor center is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily through September 1. Grounds remain open daily from dawn to 11 p.m More »
Brief American and English Camps Visitor Center Closure
The American and English camps visitor centers will be closed from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Wednesday, August 27. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Library of Congress
Alfred Pleasonton was born July 7, 1824 in the District of Columbia. As Acting Adjutant General for the Department of Oregon, Pleasonton wrote almost all orders to Capt. George Pickett and Lt. Col. Silas Casey during the Pig War crisis.
Unfortunately for Pleasonton, he was not in the orbit of the newly coined U.S. Army commander, Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant. As a result, on March 25, 1864, he was replaced as head of the Army of the Union cavalry corps by Philip Sheridan. Transferred to the Department of the Missouri, Pleasonton's cavalry performed ably in a campaign against Confederate Maj. Gen. Sterling Price. But while arguing with another Union general over who should receive credit for the victory, Price slipped away to fight another day.
The town of Pleasanton, CA is named for him.
Did You Know?
The English Camp barracks was originally used as the privates' mess until extended in 1867. During the restoration process in the early 1970's a pot of gold coins and currency was found in the attic. The treasure belonged to the Crook family, who settled on the site in 1875.