American and English Camps Visitor Centers Open Labor Day
The American and English camps visitor centers will be open on the Labor Day holiday, September 1. Call 360-378-2240, ext. 2226 or 360-378-4409 for information.
English Camp Visitor Contact Station on Winter Schedule
The English Camp visitor contact station in the Royal Marine Barracks is closed for the season, starting September 2. Grounds are open daily from dawn to 11 p.m.
American Camp Visitor Center on Winter Schedule
The American Camp visitor center is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily from September 2 to June 6, 2015. Grounds remain open daily from dawn to 11 p.m. Telephone 360-378-2240, ext. 2227 or 2226 for information. More »
Mike Vouri Photo
Here are just a few examples of Kids' Fun at San Juan island National Historical Park:
Weaving weekend: Cowlitz Nation weaver Judy Bridges, Fort Nisqually interpreter and storyteller Karen Haas along with San Juan island's Roger Ellison and Anita Barreca demonstrate weaving with all-natural fibers, including wild reeds, usually the first weekend in August. Visitors are invited to try their hands at created mattes, toys and art objects.
Tide Pool Walks: Visitors learn about plant and animal life, from algae to invertebrate animals, during tide pool walks with biologist Bob Lemon and naturalist Annie Prevost. Bring your rubber boots and look but don't touch!
Encampment: Park staff, volunteers and re-enactors from throughout the region gather at English Camp to recreate life on San Juan Island at mid-19th century. The annual event commemorates the peaceful joint occupation of San Juan Island by British and American forces from 1859 to 1872, and the final, peaceful settlement of the Northwest Boundary dispute. Throughout the joint occupation the garrisons regularly exchanged visits to celebrate holidays that included Christmas, the Fourth of July and Queen Victoria’s birthday. Typically the men would participate in athletic contests, imbibe in spirits and other refreshments and usually host a dance to which the community was invited.
The modern Encampment (the next scheduled July 26-27, 2014) includes camp life, blacksmithing, cookery, woodworking and drilling. Children participate in soldier games, learn sailors knots, how to plunk a fiddle, saw a log and dance the Grand March. The highlight of the weekend is Saturday’s Candlelight Ball, an evening of dancing and refreshments from 8 to 10 p.m.
Did You Know?
Mt. Finlayson is named for Roderick Finlayson, a Hudson's Bay Company employee who is credited with founding Victoria, BC. He is one of several Company men who have island roads and features named for them.