Park Closed for the Season
The park will be closed from Nov 1st, 2013 to Spring 2014. Visitor information is available online, via facebook.com/SaugusIronNPS or by calling the Salem Visitor Center at (978) 740-1650.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where did the ore come from?
Bog ore was mined locally on the adjacent farm of Adam Hawkes and other nearby locations in Lynn, Wakefield and Reading, as well as more distant locations. Vagueness of citation in the historic documents makes precise identification of mining localities nearly impossible Another rock called Gabbro or "rock mine" was used as a "fluxing agent" to draw away the impurities in the bog ore. Gabbro, a coarse grained basalt containing calcium and magnesium, was mined in Nahant.
Are those the original buildings?
Is there a gift shop or book store there?
How far is it to the airport?
Did You Know?
At the time of English settlement, the native community in what is today Saugus was led by a woman known only as the “Great Squaw Sachem”. It was not uncommon for a woman to take the lead as sachem after her husband died. Our squaw sachem had several contemporaries; 3 in Connecticut, 2 in Rhode Island and 1 in Massachusetts. What did the colonists think of this practice?