St. Croix and Namekagon River levels higher than normal for mid-September
Water levels are higher than normal for this time of year due to recent rainfall. Along with below average water temperatures, river users should be alert to the possibility of faster than normal currents. More »
St Croix River Visitor Center Open House During Wannigan Days
Contact: Dale Cox, 715-483-2272
Celebrate Wannigan Days in St. Croix Falls by attending an open house at the St. Croix River Visitor Center on Saturday, July 19, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The event is free and open to the public and includes numerous children’s activities, including nature journaling, face painting, fish print t-shirts, plaster animal tracks, flint knapping demonstrations, and much more. Children will also have the opportunity to become a Junior Park Ranger, and visitors will be able to view the new award winning park film, The St. Croix: A Northwoods Journey.
Other activities include:
11:00 a.m. to noon: Book signing by Stan Tekiela. Award-winning author, naturalist, and wildlife photographer Stan Tekiela will be available from 11 a.m. to noon to autograph copies of his books. His books include Birds of Wisconsin, Birds of Minnesota, Majestic Eagles, Fascinating Loons, and Nature Smart: A Family Guide to Nature. These books are available for sale in the visitor center or, if you already have a copy, Stan will sign that too!
1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.: Painting demonstration by Mary Pettis. Nationally known artist Mary Pettis will present a demonstration on painting techniques while she reflects on how the St. Croix River has influenced her creative spirit. A longtime resident of the St. Croix Valley, Mary was featured in the new park film The St. Croix: A Northwoods Journey.
The St. Croix River Visitor Center is located at 401 North Hamilton Street in St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin, and can be reached at (715) 483-2274. Through Labor Day, the visitor center is open 7 days per week, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Did You Know?
In 1872 3,500 men, 1,600 horses and 250 oxen logged off 35,000 acres cutting some 200 million board feet of logs. "Taylors Falls Reporter". In 1883 the Boom in Stillwater, Minnesota, which collected logs coming down the St. Croix River, reported 1,397,417 logs for 217,045,647 board feet.