St Croix River Visitor Center Hours 2009
Contact: Dale Cox, 715-483-2272
Change in St. Croix River Visitor Center Hours
Effective Saturday, April 18, 2009, the St. Croix River Visitor Center of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., seven days a week.
The St. Croix River Visitor Center is located at 401 North Hamilton Street in St. Croix Falls. It features exhibits on the river’s natural environment, the 18-minute film The St. Croix: A Northwoods Journey, and a bookstore.
The St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, a unit of the National Park System, was established by the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act in 1968; it is one of a group of eight rivers in the country which first received this recognition. For 252 miles, the St. Croix River and its tributary, the Namekagon, flow through some of the most scenic and least developed country in the Upper Midwest.
For additional information on the Riverway, please visit www.nps.gov/sacn or call (715) 483-2274.
Did You Know?
Between 1850 and 1889 log jams occurred at angle rock on the St. Croix River between Minnesota and Wisconsin, where the river bends within a rocky gorge. In 1886 over 150 million board feet of logs jammed creating a tourist attraction. Today St. Croix NSR attracts tourists for its scenic beauty.