Namekagon Visitor Center Hours
Contact: Branda Thwaits, 715-635-8346, ext 25
Effective Saturday, May 2, 2009, the Namekagon River Visitor Center of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., weekends only. The visitor center will open seven days a week, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., beginning on Saturday, May 23.
The Namekagon River Visitor Center is located on Highway 63, a half mile east of Highway 53, in Trego, Wisconsin. It features exhibits on the river’s natural environment, the 18-minute film The St. Croix: A Northwoods Journey, and a bookstore. It is also a great place to plan a paddle along the river, providing visitors with maps and guides of the National Scenic Riverway.
The Namekagon River is part of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, a unit of the National Park System that was established by the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act in 1968; it is one of a group of eight rivers in the country which first received this recognition. For 252 miles, the St. Croix and Namekagon rivers flow through some of the most scenic and least developed country in the Upper Midwest.
Did You Know?
In 1872 3,500 men, 1,600 horses and 250 oxen logged off 35,000 acres cutting some 200 million board feet of logs. "Taylors Falls Reporter". In 1883 the Boom in Stillwater, Minnesota, which collected logs coming down the St. Croix River, reported 1,397,417 logs for 217,045,647 board feet.