Superintendent Gail Bishop announces the closure of Russell Cave National Monument on June 5th and 7th to complete the "Cyclic Resurfacing of Roads and Parking Areas" project. The park received funding to resurface the park road, re-stripe the parking spaces, and to add additional accessible curb cut-outs for wheelchair users. The roads were resurfaced about 20 years ago.
The purpose of this cyclic project is to maintain the paved roads and parking areas along with the road bridge in good condition. Good condition roads allow for safe travel for visitors. Completion of this project will prevent excessive deterioration of the road surface and serious need for rehabilitation in the future. The entrance road is the only access to Russell Cave National Monument which provides visitors access to this area so they can enjoy the park. The roads within Russell Cave are essential for emergency vehicles and firefighting access.
The park should re-open on June 8th. For questions about the closure, call (256) 845-9605 or visit the park's webpage at www.nps/ruca and the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/RussellCaveNationalMonument
Did You Know?
Russell Cave National Monument gets its name from Thomas Russell and his family. They owned the property when the maps of the area were made around 1835 - 1928.