Planning Phase Underway For Commercial Climbing Services In Rocky Mountain National Park
Contact: Kyle Patterson, (970) 586-1363
Rocky Mountain National Park staff are currently in the planning phase to develop a commercial services strategy for guided commercial climbing in the park. Currently, the park allows one guided climbing services provider. During 2014, park staff will conduct market analysis of guided climbing through issuing limited Commercial Use Authorizations (CUA) for guided technical climbing in the park. The use associated with these permits will help determine if there are additional markets for guided climbing services within the park.
In 2014, the park will issue four CUA permits for guided technical climbing. Each permit will allow up to 15 client days of guided technical climbing in the park. One client day is equal to a guide plus one individual. A guide plus two individuals equals two client days, if the same guide and same individual comes two days in a row that is equal to two client days. There is a $250 fee for the permit, plus a $20 booking fee per each trip booked. Trips must be booked a minimum of 14 days in advance through the park's concession office.
For those interested in applying for a limited technical climbing CUA permit, a complete application packet must be submitted to the park's concession office by close of business on April 9, 2014. If there are more applicants than the specified four CUA permits available, there will be a random drawing selected from all the complete application packets submitted by the deadline. A complete application packet contains:
* A completed CUA application form for Limited Guided Climbing.
* Proof of insurance in the amount of $1 million general liability coverage, with Rocky Mountain National Park listed as additionally insured.
* A full copy of the company's Safety Manual, Risk Management Plan or other written safety plan for guided climbing operations.
* A complete list of guides and their CPR/First aid certifications. As well as any certifications related to guided climbing for each guide.
* A list of rates and prices.
* A completed application for guide passes.
* The permit fee of $250. (If there are more applicants than available permits, non-selected applicants will be refunded their permit fee.)
Complete application packets should be submitted to: Rocky Mountain National Park, Concession Office, 1000 Hwy 36, Estes Park, CO 80517. These limited guided climbing CUA permits are only available for 2014 and companies should only anticipate operating in the park for 2014.
Any questions about the permits and the application process should be directed to the park's concession office at (970) 586-1209. For information about Rocky Mountain National Park please call the park's Information Office at (970) 586-1206.
Did You Know?
The Nerd Herd (aka research volunteers) gave more than 4,500 hours to the park in 2009. These citizen scientists help monitor the health of our resources including bears, elk, plants, hummingbirds, glaciers, and butterflies. More...